March 24, 2019

Our driver hid intercepted ammunition from us – MMT

Our driver hid intercepted ammunition from us  – MMT

The Management of Transport Company, Metro Mass Transit Limited (MMTL) says the ammunition and a gun intercepted on one of their buses at Nkwanta in the Volta Region found its way into their vehicle illegally.

According to the company, the driver of the vehicle hid the ammunition he thought was normal from the parcel attendants at their terminal at Opera Square in Accra.

“…We want to say for a fact that through our preliminary investigations, we have discovered that the driver unlawfully took the parcel on his way to the loading terminal at Opera Square and hid it from the parcel attendant at the terminal. This was clearly against the company’s parcel policy,” the company said in a statement.

Three Police officials on duty at Nkwanta last Sunday intercepted one SMG Rifle and 2,100 ammunition in an MMTL bus headed for Kpasa in the Northern after a search.

According to Nkwanta District Commander of Police, ASP William Ayensu Asare, the Command had intensified vigilance on the roads, as they suspected their routes could be used as a conduit in transporting arms into the conflict-ridden Chereponi area.

ASP William Ayensu Asare told Citi News “…the driver of the metro mass claimed that the items were given to him as a parcel to be delivered to some persons in Kpasa…”

MMTL in the statement signed by its Corporate Communications Manager, George Krobea Asante said the parcel did not go through their luggage loading system which would have given them the opportunity handle the parcel “in a more secure and professional manner to prevent the occurrence such as this unfortunate incident.”

“Indeed, if the ammunition had been taken through the rigorous luggage system, the parcel attendants on duty would have uncovered the content of the parcel and exposed that illegal transaction,” the company said.

Metro Mass commended the police for their vigilance and assured them of the company’s full cooperation in their investigations.

“As a company, we have our operational guidelines, and we want to state emphatically that the conduct of the drivers on that fateful day totally contravened such guidelines which regulate our operations. We, therefore, wish to assure the general public that our services are still safe, reliable and affordable and that they should continue to have confidence in us as we continue to serve them to the best of our capability and capacity,” the company assured.

By: Godwin Akweiteh Allotey | citinewsroom.com | Ghana

Related posts