The government has told feuding factions in Chereponi that violence is not a good path for resolving challenges in society.
This follows renewed clashes between the Konkombas and Chokosis in the Chereponi District of the North East Region.
Mr Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah, the Information Minister, addressing journalists at a media encounter in Accra on Sunday, said security personnel have been deployed to the area to prevent further escalation of violence.
[contextly_sidebar id=”Zw8g9lHsRQkmApuS4J6RdqIQKsuiX2aK”]He said after peace and order has been restored to the area efforts would be made to understand the underlining factors and resolve the conflict once and for all.
The Minister said when people resort to violence in resolving their differences the law of the country must take its course.
He said the government would study the report presented by the Committee, which was tasked to investigate the root cause of violence in Chereponi and implement its recommendations to ensure sustained peace and harmony in the area.
So far, two people have been reported dead, while several houses have been razed. Some residents have also fled the area due to the conflict.
Last year, a fight erupted between the Chokosis and Konkombas over a piece of land in the Chereponi District resulting in some casualties.
Four arrested in Chereponi for carrying arms
Four persons en route to Chereponi in the North East region were on Sunday arrested for carrying firearms.
Public Relations Officer for the Northern Regional Police Command, Yusif Tanko confirmed the arrest to Citi News.
The violence started on Friday evening when unknown assailants opened fire on Nawieku, a Chokosi community in the district, injuring one person.
The following day, 75 military personnel and 40 police officers were deployed to the area following reported reprisal attacks.
Minister condemns attack on Ghanaian Times reporters
In another development, Oppong Nkrumah used the opportunity to condemn the attack on three Ghanaian Times journalists by some policemen.
The Minister said he has had discussions with the Editor of the Ghanaian Times Newspaper and asked the Editor to write to the Ministry so that efforts are made to speed up investigations into the matter for the necessary disciplinary sanctions to be taken against the culprits.
Mr Oppong-Nkrumah also condemned a viral video circulating on the social media showing a police officer being attacked by a commercial driver and his conductor.
He said assaulting a police officer has various consequences and expressed the hope that the Police Administration would investigate the matter and bring the perpetrators to book.
He urged the Police Administration to expedite action on the two incidents.
Source: GNA with additional files from citinewsroom.com