The families of the three kidnapped girls from Takoradi intend to sue Accra-based Daily Guide Newspaper over its report that the girls had been rescued.
The Police Service dismissed the Daily Guide’s report saying it “cannot be confirmed by the Police.”
A spokesperson for the families, Michael Hayford Grant, in an interview on Eyewitness News said the false reportage by the newspaper toyed with the families’ emotions.
“We are going to sue Daily Guide. We are going to take them to court because they cant do anything like that to let the people collapse and the family collapse… we will take them to court. Mark my words; we will take them to court.”
Micheal Hayford Grant also denied claims that the police appointed liaison officers to keep the families updated with investigations.
This was after the police had said it appointed liaison officers to coordinate information between the police and the families of the kidnapped girls.
When the Daily Guide report first came out, Alexander Kuranchie, the father of one of the missing girls said he had been making calls to security agencies for clarity on the matter but got no response.
“I have been calling the CID boss and a friend of mine at BNI [Bureau of National Investigations]. They tell me they are still working on it and that very soon I will hear good news so I shouldn’t worry but it is not as easy as people see it,” he said to Citi News.
The girls, Ruth Quayson, Priscilla Blessing Bentum and Priscilla Koranchie are believed to have been kidnapped between August 2018 and December 2018.
The main suspect in the kidnapping, Sam Udoetuk Wills is currently before a court after he escaped from jail in December 2018 following his first arrest.
Before the rescue reports from the Daily Guide, the families of the three girls served notice they will on May 2, 2019, storm the Police CID headquarters to demand proof that the girls are alive.
This was after the police service came out on April 2 to say it knew the location of the girls.