The families of the three kidnapped Takoradi girls are asking the police to apply the same level of urgency used in finding the two Canadian women in Kumasi in their search for the girls.
Speaking to Citi News, Rebecca Quayson, a sister of one of the missing girls, said the families are gravely disappointed in the government as it appears the Ghanaian authorities almost always put foreign lives ahead of Ghanaians.
“We are already disappointed the way they have handled our sisters’ issue, because we all know our leaders in Ghana treat foreigners in a special way; we are very disappointed and we are warning government, at the end of the day we are the citizens here and we will vote” she said.
The two Canadian girls who were kidnapped in the Ashanti Regional Capital, Kumasi, last week, have been rescued by national security operatives.
They were rescued on Wednesday morning.
This comes after Canadian authorities reportedly collaborated with local police to find the girls, although Government says the girls were rescued without foreign assistance.
Kidnapping of girls
The Canadian girls were kidnapped at the Kumasi Royal Gulf Club, Ahodwo around 8:25 pm on June 4, 2019.
The Police in a statement said the two victims aged 19 and 20, “are volunteers with an NGO known as Youth Challenge International based in Ghana.”
The development comes to add to the growing agitation in the country particularly in the Western Region where three young girls are yet to be found after going missing for ten months.
Following the kidnapping of the two Canadians, some Embassies and High Commissions in the country such as Australia and the United Kingdom, have issued warnings to their citizens about likely crimes in the country including kidnapping.
Despite the recent incidents, kidnapping is still considered a rare occurrence in Ghana.
5 Ghanaians, 3 Nigerians arrested over abduction of Canadian girls
Eight suspects, made up of five Ghanaians and three Nigerians, have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of the two Canadian women and flown to Accra for further investigations.
Speaking at a press briefing on the kidnapping incidents witnessed in the country, the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, disclosed that the alleged leader of the kidnappers, believed to be a Nigerian, was among the suspects rounded up by the Police.
“A third Nigerian believed to be the leader of the gang was arrested later at a separate location…5 Ghanaians and 3 Nigerians are in custody for this incident.”
“One of the suspects is reported to have sustained minor injuries. Other investigations and possible arrests are still on-going.”