Parliament has put on hold its decision to construct a new chamber following intense pressure from Ghanaians.
“The board, has, upon reviewing presentations made to it by well-meaning Ghanaians, accordingly taken the development out of its present agenda,” a statement from Parliament said.
But the statement left open the possibility of Parliament returning to this proposed project which it says will “serve the purpose of Parliament.”
“The development of the Parliamentary enclave and a new chamber block and offices shall, however, remain an essential and integral part of the future plans of the Legislature in a bid to provide a strong, accountable, responsive and transparent Parliament to serve the purpose of Parliament.”
The decision to construct the chamber complex has been widely criticized by Ghanaians.
Some groups had threatened to stage a protest against the planned construction of the chamber.
The civil opposition to the project also accompanied criticism from legislators from both sides of Parliament.
At a press conference last Thursday, the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs and Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu assured that the interest of the public will be considered in the final determination of the project.
He said the plans for the construction had not been finalised and were set for debate in Parliament.
“The process is not concluded and the financials have not been concluded, procurement has not been concluded. The agreement has not been firmed up because these ones have not been completed. If the agreement is firmed up, it must come to Parliament for approval.”
But there have been contradictory signals from the arms of government on the project.
The President was scheduled to attend the sod cutting of the project in June according to a letter sighted by Citi News.
The letter signed by the Speaker of Parliament, Prof. Aaron Michael Oquaye indicated that the ceremony was to be done in the last week of June 2019, subject to the President’s convenience and confirmation.
The construction of a new parliamentary chamber complex was expected to begin before the end of 2019.
However, the Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, has denied that the Presidency had any involvement in the proposed construction of the complex.
A model for the project has also been designed with timelines already set, according to the David Adjaye, who served as architect.