A committee has been set up in the Ashanti Region, to look into the registration of 689 applicants whose registrations were challenged.
This is according to the Ashanti Regional Director of the Electoral Commission, Benjamin Bannor Bio.
“For the first 20 days, we registered 190,872 applicants in the Ashanti region. Out of this number 689 have been challenged and most of the challenge cases were based on the legal age factor (People below 18 years) and that constitute 71% of the people who have been challenged. We have the district registration review committee that is currently sitting and they are dealing with these challenged cases. All people who have been challenged, if they are able to go through successful and we realize that they qualify to be registered we will give them the opportunity to,” he said.
Last month, the Electoral Commission (EC) was confident its 21-day timeline for the limited voters’ registration exercise will capture all unregistered prospective voters despite initial hitches.
Some centres recorded network challenges that stalled the process and sparked some confusion.
The Electoral Commission (EC) after the registration ended over the weekend turned down calls for an extension of the exercise.
According to the Commission, it will only register persons who were in queues before the closing period on July 7 but were not able to register.
Deputy Chairman at the EC in charge of Corporate Services, Dr. Eric Bossman Asare in a Citi News interview said that the commission will allow such persons to be registered on Monday and Tuesday.