This is one of the most popular meals in Ghana and has been enjoyed for lots of years.
This healthy meal doesn’t need lots of efforts in its preparation.
MEAL – Beans stew, fried riped plantain, gari on the side/rice with avocado .
Below are the points supporting the consumption of this popular meal;
-The flavonoids present in beans can help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
– Phytosterols present in legumes helps reduce blood cholesterol levels.
– Black eyed beans is a rich source of fibre.
– For vegetarians, this beans can provide a needed source of iron.
-It’s high protein and fibre properties makes one full and help prevent overeating.
-This high fibre food helps reduce out risk to diabetes.
– It’s a good substitute for weight watchers due to its low calorie content as compared to animal protein, it fills you up due to its high fibre nature which helps to cut down on intake.
– Rich source of antioxidants
– Helps prevention of cancer
– Reduces blood cholesterol
– Reduces inflammation
– Improves health and appearance of skin
– Inhibits fungal infections
– Excellent source of potassium
– Help beat blood sugar imbalance
– Help prevent unhealthy cravings
– Good for weight loss
– Ease digestive problems
– Good for weight loss
– Serves as an immune booster
– Good for heart health
– Good in fibre
-High source of potassium
– Helps fight anaemia
– Some research supports the fact that it helps control blood sugar in diabetic patients
– Cassava is a good source of vitamin C, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin for growth, improves skin function, for brain , heart, stomach and nervous health.
– Helps body to form new cells
– Prevents some birth defects
– Contains irons which helps the body oxygen around the body.
There are those of us who will want to add extra protein to their red red even though, beans is a high protein meal. If it is an egg or fish that you will want to add, feel free and choose but note that, beans/ red red is a high protein food or meal.
One can twist it by adding a dessert bowl of plain salad on the side.
Eat well and stay healthy for your true wealth is your nutritional well being, which is your total health.
Read and share with family and friends and let’s together build a very healthy populace.
For further enquiries, you can get in touch on ;
Facebook: RNutritionist Aaky Aphyra
Twitter: Nutritionist Akosua
LinkedIn: Nutritionist Akosua
Watch Nutritionist Akosua on Citi TV every Monday from 9:00am to 9:30am for Breakfast Daily’s Nutrition segment where we discuss various nutritional concerns and ways to stay healthy.