Cracks in the People’s National Convention (PNC) have worsened following the suspension of the party’s General Secretary, Janet Nabla.
The National Executive Committee (NEC) of the PNC on August 28, 2021, took a decision to indefinitely suspend Nabla over allegations of gross misconduct, insubordination, and incompetence, a decision she has vehemently rejected.
Meanwhile, some nine regional chairmen and the First Vice-Chair of the PNC after a meeting on Tuesday, September 7, 2021, moved to remove the party’s leader, David Apasera, and its National Chairman, Moses Danibaah, from office.
A communiqué they released indicated that this was a decision after an Extraordinary National Executive Committee meeting.
According to the communiqué, Janet Nabla, has been cleared of accusations against her and was asked to resume her former position.
This development followed a petition from Janet Nabla, the Ashanti Regional Youth Organizer of the party, Muniru Mohammed; and the party’s Communications Director for the North East Region Memuna Yidana to remove Mr. Apasera and Moses Dani Baah from office.
Addressing the media in Kumasi after the supposed extraordinary National Executive Committee meeting, the Ashanti Regional Secretary of the PNC, Seidu Suleiman, outlined the party’s decisions which were captured in the communiqué.
“That NEC subjected the petition submitted by the three to very diligent scrutiny and upholds all the accusations as the truth. Consequently, Mr. David Apasera and Mr. Moses Danibaah are guilty of the accusations,” the communiqué said.
The communiqué said the Greater Accra Regional Chairman of the party, Bala Mei Kankan, shall now act as the National Chairman and Leader of the PNC.
Janet Nabla had alleged that Mr. Dani Baah and Mr. Apasara embezzled funds to the tune of GHS70,000 from the party’s coffers.
Janet Nabla challenged the decision for her suspension, saying it was taken without the required quorum of the PNC’s National Executive Committee.
Nabla remains suspended
Meanwhile, a separate statement signed by Moses Dani Baah, National Chairman of the PNC, insisted that Nabla remains suspended.
“The PNC wishes to state unequivocally that its former General Secretary, Ms. Janet Asana Nabla is still under an indefinite suspension following the National Executive Committee Meeting of 28th August 2021 held at the GNAT Hall in Accra.”
Find below the full communiqué
COMMUNIQUE AT THE END OF THE EXTRAORDINARY PNC NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (NEC) MEETING HELD IN KUMASI, 7TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 2021
- Pursuant to Article 45(1a) of the PNC constitution, NEC met in Kumasi extraordinarily, to address recent disturbing occurrences in the party and to make a determination on a petition brought before NEC by the General Secretary; Janet Asana Nabla, the Ashanti Regional Youth Organizer; Muniru Mohammed and the Communication Director of North East; Mamuna Yidana.
- Present at the meeting were nine (9) regional chairmen and secretaries, some national officers as required by law. National Vice Chairman Henry Asante and Sam Adeifio (the Central Regional Secretary) were present virtually via Zoom.
- NEC judiciously deliberated on recent occurrences in the party and resolved as follows:
- That the NEC meeting of 28th August 2021 was not properly constituted pursuant to Article 45(3) and as such that meeting is null and void and its outcome must be treated with contempt.
- That NEC subjected the petition submitted by the three to very diligent scrutiny and upholds all the accusations as the truth. Consequently, Mr. David Apasera and Mr. Moses Danibaah are guilty of the accusations.
- That, they are removed from their respective offices pursuant to Article 49(a)(4) of PNC constitution for misconducting themselves as prescribed in the petition indefinitely.
- That in their absence, the Greater Accra Regional Chairman shall act as the National Chairman and Leader of the PNC.
- That the General Secretary is cleared to continue to conduct her function as stated in the constitution.