Calm has returned to Yendi in the Northern Region after Friday’s violent clashes.
Tensions have reduced in the community as the shootings and burning of houses have seized following a joint police and military visibility on the streets of Yendi.
Citi News has gathered from the Kampakoya Naa’s palace that the funeral of the late overlord of Dagbon, Yaa NaaYakubu Andani II, which seems to be the cause of the disturbance, has been put on hold until further notice.
The shooting, which happened on January 11, 2019, was said to have started when the Chief of Sangnarigu was entering Yendi with his entourage ahead of the funeral of the late Yaa-Naa Yakubu Andani II.
Alhaji Mugisu Sibaway, the Abudu Youth President, told Citi News the Sangnari Naa’s entourage upon getting to where the Abudu youth were, opened fire on them killing one and injuring five.
The gunfire was reportedly preceded by the pelting of stones between Abudu and Andani groups.
The dead and wounded were all said to be Abudus.
Two houses and a shed belonging to Abudus were also set ablaze.
Six persons were subsequently arrested in connection with clashes that occurred in Yendi on Friday afternoon.
Northern Regional Police PRO, DSP Yusif Tanko, said the arrested persons would assist the Police in their investigations.
DSP Tanko also indicated that about 15 persons had so far been injured in the clash.
“There were some incidents in Yendi this afternoon where shots were fired from different directions. Fifteen persons so far have sustained injuries, and we have also arrested six persons to assist in investigations, but as we speak, Yendi is calm,” DSP Tanko said.
This recent clash has led to a suspension of the funeral rites of the late Yaa-Naa Yakubu Andani II.
By: Farida Yusif | citinewsroom.com | Ghana