May 22, 2019

Leaderboard
Leaderboard

Chereponi township hit with curfew after clashes

Chereponi township hit with curfew after clashes Ambrose Dery is Interior Minister

A 6:00am to 6:00pm curfew has been imposed on the Chereponi township effective today [Thursday], January 03, 2019, after clashes in the area resulted in two deaths and left several others wounded.

The clashes were between Anufuls and Konkombas over a piece of land at Naduni in the Chereponi District.

Though Naduni was the epicentre of the violence, it has not been affected by the curfew.

Some residents of Chereponi have told Citi News they are upset that their area was hit with the curfew despite no reports of violence.

They fear this curfew may spark panic in an area that has so far been peaceful and called for immediate removal of the curfew.

The curfew also extends to the Saboba township, a statement from the Minister of Interior said.

The curfew means there is a total ban on the carrying of arms, ammunition or any offensive weapon.

The statement warned that “any person found with any arms or ammunition will be arrested and prosecuted.”

The clash was reportedly triggered by suspicions that some Chekosi had attacked some Konkombas with stones, which resulted in a confrontation.

Injured persons received treatment at the Chereponi health center and the Saboba health centre.

The Defence Ministry has since deployed more troops to the area to ensure calm.

There were concerns that not enough attention was being paid to the situation.

Call for more action

Some members of the Anuful community in Tamale complained at the Regional Coordinating Council that the government may have been underestimating the situation.

A spokesperson for the group, Dr. Solomon Gumang said, “we think it is because of underestimation of the threat and the extent to which the threat is such that we think they should act very decisively.”

He was speaking on the second day of the tensions, where six homes were set ablaze.

Find below the full statement

The Minister for the Interior has on the advice of the Northern Regional Security Council and by Executive Instrument has imposed a 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. curfew on Chereponi and Saboba Townships and their environs, effective, Thursday, 3rd January, 2019.

The imposition of the curfew follows the outbreak of violence in the towns arising from clashes between two ethnic groups. (Konkombas and Chokosis).

Government continues to urge Chiefs, Elders, Opinion Leaders, Youth and people of the area to exercise restraint in the face of the challenges confronting them as well as to use non-violent means to channel their energies into ensuring peace in the area.

Meanwhile, there is a total ban on all persons in the afore-mentioned communities and its environs from carrying arms, ammunition or any offensive weapon and any persons found with any arms or ammunition will be arrested and prosecuted.

Signed

AMBROSE DERY (MP)

By: Delali Adogla-Bessa | citinewsroom.com | Ghana

Related posts