Former Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) appointed under successive National Democratic Congress (NDC) governments have appealed to former President John Dramani Mahama make himself available to serve the party and Ghana as presidential candidate of the party.
They also want him to immediately declare his intentions for the party’s presidential ticket ahead of the December 2020 polls.
“…We wish to urge the former President John Dramani to make an early declaration of his political intention and to appeal to him to make himself available for further services to our great party and our dear nation,” they said.
This they said will help the party to strategically position itself to snatch power from the governing New Patriotic Party since to them, the NPP has been unable to “better the lots of the ordinary Ghanaian and has engaged in the wanton dissipation of state resources under the super incompetent NPP government led by Nana Akufo-Addo.”
[contextly_sidebar id=”YQjtiaTPewFkqtV8NrdzIfpMnwJkHA0W”]The former MMDCES made this in a communiqué after holding a meeting in Accra yesterday, Saturday, May 12, 2018.
The meeting aimed at strengthening the NDC party to enhance its electoral fortunes for election 2020.
The former NDC MMDCEs also resolved to bring together all former NDC MMDCES from 1992 to 2000 and 2008 to 2016.
“We, therefore, call on all stakeholders of our party to put their hands on deck to ensure electoral victory for our great party come 2020,” they added in the communiqué.
‘I’ll make my political future clear soon’ – Mahama
Former President John Dramani Mahama at recent unity walk session organised by the party in Bolga in the Upper East Region hinted that he would announce his intentions for his political future very soon.
According to him, he has had the opportunity to listen to the rank and file of the NDC and has come to an understanding of which decision will be in the best interest of the opposition party.
His comments come at a time when several other party stalwarts have declared their intentions to contest for the NDC ‘s presidential slot.
“We have had the opportunity to interact with the grassroots, and I have heard the message they have kept echoing to me. I have had the opportunity to speak to many people who have the best interests of our party at heart and sooner rather than later I will make my political future clear. I did not want my decision whether to run or not to run to affect the reorganisation of the party. Now that we have finished the branch reorganisation and I can see that the reorganisation of the party is well on track then probably the time is arriving where I need to decide so the party can have a clear focus on how it is moving forward to 2020,” he added.
About four NDC stalwarts including 2nd deputy Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Professional Studies, Professor Joshua Alabi have already declared their readiness to lead the party in the 2020 polls.
Below is the full statement from the former NDC MMDCES
NDC FORMER MMDCEs COMMUNIQUE
We, the former MMDCEs of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) gathered in MENSVIC HOTEL, East Legon, Accra for our maiden conference on Saturday 12th May 2018 with an overall view to strengthening the NDC party through the reorganization in order to enhance victory for election 2020.
As a result of a one-day session, we have resolved on the following four thematic areas:
- Re-organization of former MMDCES from 1992 to 2000 and 2008 to 2016
- Re-organization of the party.
- Strategy for election 2020.
- Party unity.
From the above, the following are recommended:
- Acknowledgement of our key roles at all levels of party structures and the need to include decisions makers from each of these various levels into the planning and implementation of programmes.
- We resolved to formalize this conference into fellowship with a common goal.
- We resolved to assist in the coordination of party programmes and activities for effective and efficient output due to the vast experiences we acquired as MMDCEs. We shall select a three-member committee to coordinate party activities at the regional level by gathering updated information from all the former MMDCEs in the region about political and developmental issues to the Central Coordinating Unit (CCU) to be used by the National Executive Committee to formulate strategies, programmes and campaign messages for victory 2020 and beyond.
- The need to hold this conference at least once a year
- The need to have a representative at the national NEC and FEC of our party
- We have also resolved to provide all information and other resources necessary to the party structures towards victory 2020.
- We also resolved to re-organize ourselves to complement the effort of the branch, ward, constituency, regional and national executives in the formation and implementation of party plans and strategies.
- Our resolve has been to ensure that competent, loyal and hardworking executives are elected at the constituency, regional and national levels and duly motivated to capture one touch victory for election 2020.
- In pursuit of these resolutions, we will be fair and firm in our engagements with the established structures of our party especially the grassroots.
- Finally, we have noted with concern, the inability of the NPP to better the lots of the ordinary Ghanaian and has engaged in the wanton dissipation of state resources under the super incompetent NPP government led by Nana Akufo Addo.
We, therefore, call on all stakeholders of our party to put their hands on deck in order to ensure electoral victory for our great party come 2020. This has to be done with the sense of unity devoid of all acrimonies. To this end, we wish to urge the former President John Dramani to make an early declaration of his political intention and to appeal to him to make himself available for further services to our great party and our dear nation.
Long live former MMDCEs
Long live NDC
Long live Ghana
By: Godwin Akweiteh Allotey/citinewsroom.com/Ghana