The two Canadian girls who were kidnapped in the Ashanti Regional Capital, Kumasi last week, have been rescued by national security operatives.
They were rescued on Wednesday morning.
This comes after Canadian authorities collaborated with local police to find the girls.
A statement from the Ministry of Information which confirmed the news did not give details about the operation that led to the girls being found.
“Details of the operation and ongoing efforts to ensure that similar incidents are successfully resolved will be made available in a subsequent press briefing scheduled for 15:00 hours today,” the statement said.
While emphasizing that Ghana remains a safe place to travel to, the government urged the media to be circumspect in their commentaries on the matter and other security issues.
“Government continues to encourage the media and commentators to be circumspect in public commentary on security matters in order not to compromise other related operations. Citizens and travellers are once again assured that Ghana remains safe,” it noted in its statement.
Kidnapping of girls
The Canadian girls were kidnapped at the Kumasi Royal Gulf Club, Ahodwo around 8:25 pm on June 4, 2019.
The Police in a statement on the matter said the two victims were aged 19 and 20 and “are volunteers with an NGO known as Youth Challenge International based here in Ghana.”
The development comes to add to the growing agitation in the country particularly in the Western Region where three young girls are yet to be found after going missing for over six months.
Following the kidnapping of the two Canadians, some Embassies and High Commissions in the country such as Australia and UK have issued warnings to their citizens about likely crimes in the country including kidnapping.
Despite the recent incidents, kidnapping is still considered a rare occurrence in Ghana.