Celebrated Ghanaian music producer, Emmanuel Mallet popularly known as Zapp Mallet, has been given a Special Recognition award at the Entertainment Achievement Awards.
The Entertainment Achievement Awards, a scheme that celebrates entertainers and entertainment industry players who have distinguished themselves in the practice of their art, was held on Saturday, February 26, 2022 at the Accra Marriott Hotel.
The Special Recognition award was given to the veteran recording engineer and producer for his immense contribution to the Ghanaian music industry.
Receiving the award at the ceremony on Saturday, Zapp expressed his sincere appreciation to God and his wife.
“As you can see, I’m surprised. It took me by surprise. So I don’t have much to say; only to say thanks to God and special thanks to my wife sitting over there. We’ve come all the way – 29 years, it hasn’t been easy. So thank you very much for this award. I really appreciate it,” he said.
Zapp Mallet is recognised as one of the pioneers of the hiplife genre that started in the early 1990s in Ghana.
He is also recognised as the only recording engineer to have won the Ghana Music Awards on three consecutive occasions: 1999, 2000, 2001.
Zapp Mallet has impacted a lot of music talents, not only through productions, but also by rendering backing vocals to a number of them.
Last year, the honour was conferred on highlife legend Agya Koo Nimo.
See a list of some songs produced by Zapp Mallet below:
- Agoo – Reggie Rockstone
- Nightlife in Accra – Reggie Rockstone
- Keep Ya Eyes on the Road – Rockstone
- If You Don’t Want Me – Reggie Rockstone
- Fa Odo Bo Odo Mu – Frank Mensah Pozo & Tommy Wiredu
- Movement – Samini
- Odo Mu Anigye – Dada KD
- Big Dreams – Wutah
- Obotantim – Francis Agyei
- Sanbra – Root Eye
- Abrewa Nana ft Samini – Esisi Meso
- Wo Din – Praye
- Kɔkɔɔkɔ – Dasebre Gyamena
- Medo – Lord Kenya
- Yɛ W’adwen Yie – Lord Kenya
- Driver Susukɔ – Lord Kanya
- Sika Baa – Lord Kenya
- Nwom No – Lord Kenya
- Fameko – Lord Kenya
- Chap with the Rap – Kenya
- Sika Mpo Mfa Neho – Lord Kenya
- Slip Music All-Stars – Afehyia Pa
- TH4 Kwages – Taxi Driver
- TH4 Kwages – Ka Hwe Mu
- Nananom – Panin Na Obi Nnyɛɛ Bi Da
- Obrafour – Asɛm Sɛbɛ
- Nsatea Nyinaa Nnyɛ Pɛ – Nananom
- Sass Squad – Obaa Serwaa
- Daasebre Gyamena – Ntoro
- Nkran Kwanso – Okomfuor Kwaadee
- Police Abaa – Nsia Piesie
- Masan Aba – Akyeame
- Awo Ye Ya – Kontihene ft. Kofi B
- Bra Yɛntena – Akyeame
- Atofie – Joe Frazier
- Atia Donko – Nana Quame
- Burning Desire – Wutah
- Ngozi – Micheal Dwamena
- Wobre – Adane Best
- Fa W’akoma Me – Rex Omar
- Daniel in the Lion’s Den – Felix Bell
- Obrafour – Okukuseku
- Akyeame ft Root Eye – Brɛbrɛ Obaahema
- Agya Bomofoɔ ft. Charlie Pee & Shy – Medahɔ M’awo
- Me Dɔ Mu Eduru – Tommy Wiredu
- Yaa Maame – Joe Frazier
- When Peace Like a River – Black Heritage
- Chooboi – Naana and Dan
- Odo Shock – Nana Quame
- Kofi B – Mmɔbrɔwa
- Kotosa – Rex Omar
- Wasei M’adwen – Sass Squad
- Macha Macha – Helena Rhabbles
- Okamafo Nyame – Helena Rhabbles
- Yedi Nkunim – Tagoe Sisters
- Mebo Wo Din Daa – Daughters of Glorious Jesus
- Mmrane – Suzzy & Matt
- Yehowa – Suzzy & Matt
- Nkebo Noo – Knii Lante
- Eno Abena – Nana Quame ft. Obrafour
Others include Eboso Ma Wo – Swazzy B, Dabi Dabi – Okurasini Samuel, Sika – Abrewa Nana ft. Batman – Esisi Meso, among others.
These are just a few of the many hit songs Zapp Mallet has produced. There are some artists on the list above, whose entire albums were produced by Zapp.
This year’s Entertainment Achievement Awards honoured people in the showbiz sector whose works fall within the 2021 eligibility year.
The scheme covers areas such as sports, music, film, fashion, photography, media, writing, comedy, among others.
The Entertainment Achievement Awards is powered by Citi TV, with support from GIPC, Good Day Energy Drink, Kofi Abban Foundation and Ghana Weekend.