Citi News’ Eastern Regional Correspondent, Neil Nii Amatey Kanarku has been adjudged the Tourism Writer for the year 2018 at the Eastern Regional Tourism Awards Ceremony held on Saturday.
Neil Nii Amatey Kanarku was shortlisted for the prestigious award which had Ghanaian Times Reporter, Ama Takyiwaa Ampadu, Joy News Correspondent, Edwin Kofi Siaw, Naa Lamiley Bentil of Daily Graphic as contenders.
The award, the first of its kind, according to the event organizers, is in recognition of Kanarku’s hard work, dedication and selfless contribution to the growth and promotion of tourism and the hospitality industry in the region through his numerous and continuous reportage on tourism-related activities.
The Chairman for the event, the Krontihene of New Juaben Traditional Council, Baffour Nyantakyi Tutu Boateng in his remarks challenged the media to use their platforms to promote tourism in the area.
“Tourism contributes a lot to this country but it is unfortunate we are not realising the impact and importance of tourism in this country. Our attraction sites have a number of challenges which need to be addressed immediately and you the media and journalists in this country must be at the forefront to put every government on its toes to help solve these challenges bedeviling the tourism industry”.
“It’s your mandate to use your power as the 4th realm to speak for the needy to ensure their voices are heard. Ghana has a potential to be the best tourist site in Africa but we can only achieve this if we give priority to tourism in this country”.
Also at the event, Citi FM’s online platform, citinewsroom.com was also adjudged the Tourism Oriented Media for the Online category, while Peace FM picked up an award for Tourism Oriented Media For Radio.
Joy News also received an award for Tourism Oriented Media for the TV category with the Spectator Newspaper receiving the award for the print media category.
Other award winners on the night were, Capital View Hotel who picked the Best Three Star Hotel Award with Volta River Authority (Akosombo Dam Site) winning the Tourist attraction site of the year.
Full list of award winners
- 4 STAR HOTEL OF THE YEAR 2018
- ROYAL SENCHI HOTEL AND RESORT-SENCHI
- 3 STAR HOTEL OF THE YEAR 2018
- CAPITAL VIEW HOTEL-KOFORIDUA
- 2 STAR HOTEL OF THE YEAR 2018
- LANSDOWN OF IBRU HEIGHTS RESORT-BREKUSU
- 1 STAR HOTEL OF THE YEAR 2018
- PRESTIGE GUEST HOUSE-MAMFE
- GUEST HOUSE OF THE YEAR 2018
- EE’S MOUNTAIN HEIGHT-MAMPONG
- BUDGET HOTEL OF THE YEAR 2018
- KINGSVILLE HOTEL-KOFORIDUA
- HOSTEL OF THE YEAR 2018
- ST MICHEALS YOUTH CAMP HOSTEL-ABURI
- CONSISTENT PAYMENT OF 1% TOURISM LEVY OF THE YEAR 2018 (ACCOMMODATION)
- 1ST STOP GUEST HOUSE, ASAMANKESE
- CONSISTENT PAYMENT OF 1% TOURISM LEVY OF THE YEAR 2018 (CATERING)
- DANIELLA RESTAURANT, KADE
- SITE GUIDE OF THE YEAR 2018
- LlOYD BROBBEY ADASI-COCOA REASERCH INSTITUTE OF GHANA, TAFO
- VISITOR ATTRACTION OF THE YEAR
- AKOSOMBO DAM SITE-AKOSOMBO
- RESTAURANT GRADE 1 OF THE YEAR 2018
- LINDA DOR RESTAURANT-KOFORIDUA
- TOURISM WRITER OF THE YEAR 2018 (PRINT)
- NEIL NII AMATEY KARNAKU OF CITI FM
- TOURISM ORIENTED MEDIA OF THE YEAR 2018 (TELEVISION)
- JOY NEWS
- TOURISM ORIENTED MEDIA OF THE YEAR 2018 (PRINT)
- THE SPECTATOR
- TOURISM ORIENTED MEDIA OF THE YEAR 2018 (RADIO)
- PEACE FM
- TOURISM ORIENTED MEDIA OF THE YEAR 2018(ONLINE)
- HIGHWAY REST STOP OF THE YEAR
- LINDA DOR HIGHWAY REST STOP- BUNSO JUNCTION
- CORPORATE SUPPORT FOR TOURISM DEVELOPMENT
- THE ROYAL SENCHI HOTEL AND RESORT, SENCHI
- MERITORIOUS PUBLIC SERVICE IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF TOURISM
- EDWIN SEBASTIAN OWUSU-MENSAH
By: Nii Amatey Kanarku | citinewsroom.com | Ghana