Channels TV and TV Continental in Nigeria shut down temporarily earlier on Wednesday after being besieged by some assailants, according to local media reports.
A message scrolling on Channels TV earlier said, ”Channels Television is temporarily shutting down due to imminent attack on our staff and operations.”
The station reportedly came under attack minutes after broadcasting Lagos State Governor Sanwo-Olu’s denial of the massacre in Lekki on Tuesday night.
This followed reports that security operatives opened fire on unarmed protestors on Tuesday.
The headquarters of Television Continental also allegedly came under attack by a mob in Lagos according to local media.
Tope Mark-Odigie, an anchor with TV Continental, in an Instagram video, said the station was attacked by a mob and police had fled the area.
Graphic images and videos posted on social media showed protestors at the Lekki tollgate in the centre of Lagos fleeing as security forces, including soldiers, fired on them.
Other images showed protestors tending to wounded persons.
Ambulances dispatched to care for the wounded were reportedly turned back by soldiers.
The incident at the Lekki tollbooth prompted some media outlets in Nigeria to describe the day as Black Tuesday.
The Nigerian army has denied the reports its men opened fire on unarmed protestors and promised to investigate the issue.