June 18, 2019


Police vow to maintain order in Yendi after clashes

Police vow to maintain order in Yendi after clashes File photo

After the shooting incident at Yendi that claimed one life, police has said it will focus on ensuring the funeral of  Yaa-Naa Yakubu Andani II passes without any more violence.

The funeral of the late Yaa-Naa started this morning after yesterday’s hitches.

The Northern Regional Police Public Relation Officer, Salifu Tanko, who confirmed the death and injuries of three others said police were now in control of the situation and on the hunt for perpetrators.

“We are going to ensure that we provide security for those people who are supposed to perform the funeral do so. We would not allow disgruntled people to try all that has been achieved so far so we will do everything possible to ensure that the needed security is given so that the funeral is performed so that we will get a substantive Yaa Naa and Dagbon will remain peaceful.”

“Our preoccupation now is to ensure that further hostilities do not occur and also we secure the grounds for the Andani youth who are supposed to champion the funeral to be able to do so in an atmosphere of peace and security.”

The Northern Regional Minister and Chairman of REGSEC, Salifu Saeed, called on the police to intensify their role in maintaining calm in the area.

“If you look at the level of preparations being done by the Andani royal family, from the morning up to the evening, the whole place was very peaceful. Unfortunately, this thing happened.”

“The security agencies have activated their machinery, and they are working on it so the culprits that will be found will be dealt with drastically,” he said.

Two houses were also burnt in the process during the eruption of violence on Thursday.

The injured persons are said to be receiving treatment at the Yendi Government Hospital.

The incident occurred when the chief of Sagnarigu and his entourage of about 20 fleets of buses and trucks arrived in Yendi.

While driving towards the Gbewaa palace, a section of the Youth of Yendi hauled stones at them smashing windscreens of vehicles.

Other vehicles entering Yendi and those leaving Yendi township were stoned, and windscreens were smashed at Zohe a suburb in Yendi.

However, the swift intervention of the Police and military calmed the angry factions.

By: Diana Ngon | citinwesroom.com | Ghana

Related posts