The three natives of Japekrom who died during a shooting incident at Drobo in the Jaman South District of the Brong Ahafo Region, have been buried today, Sunday, amidst heavy security.
The deceased persons are 42-year old Wofa Atta Sina, who is well-known as the Mbrantehene (Youth Leader) of Japekrom, a JHS leaver and an under 2-year-old child who fell from his mother’s back during the incident.
Hundreds of residents and mourners marched through the principal streets of the area to and from the burial grounds.
The 42-year old deceased Wofa Atta Sina, left behind five children.
Meanwhile, the dawn to dusk curfew that was imposed on the area following the incident is still in force, for which reason security in the town remains tight especially for this burial.
Drobo shooting incident: 2 confirmed dead; no arrest yet
Official Police report earlier this month said two persons had been confirmed dead, while 14 others were in critical condition over a shooting incident by some unknown assailants in Drobo, a rival town.
The 14 people were admitted at the Sampa Government Hospital for treatment.
The Public Relations Officer of the Brong Ahafo Regional Police Command, Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong, in an interview with Citi News said security has been beefed up in the rival towns of Japekrom and Drobo to prevent any reprisal attack.
“Stray bullets started coming in from different angles and 15 people were injured through that. They were immediately rushed to Sampa hospital where one was pronounced dead. During the patrols with the military in town, we also spotted a certain taxi in front of the district assembly and found somebody also suspected to have died. Immediately we sent the body and he was pronounced dead at the Drobo hospital.”
The shots were fired from a storey building into a crowd of Japekrom residents who were on a procession through Drobo as part of their Munufie festival.
No arrest has since been made, but the Japekrom Traditional Council has accused the people of Drobo for the unprovoked attack. They have asked government to ensure the perpetrators are brought to book.
There were fears of a reprisal attack for which reason security was beefed up with a curfew imposed.
The two communities are said to have a long standing dispute over land. However, the Japekrom Traditional Council says that matter had been settled as far back as 2015 in favour of Japekrom, and that there is no outstanding dispute with Drobo.
They have however accused the Jaman South DCE of playing a part in the gun attack, and have vowed to take him on if government doesn’t investigate the matter and ensure his removal.
The DCE has however denied any wrongdoing in the matter.
By: Jonas Nyabor/citinewsroom.com/Ghana